For all of my embroidered projects I start with a base of fabric. This can be a whole cloth, strip-pieced, or crazy-pieced base. Here are a few tips that I use when I work.
Well, that just makes sense!
- I pre-wash all my fabrics so that the chemicals and accumulated dust are removed.
- If vintage laces or handkerchiefs need to be cleaned, use a mild hand soap and water: dry flat on a towel and lightly press, if needed.
- When working with any stabilizer, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s directions.
- Use Sulky KK2000 Temporary Spray Adhesive to keep fabric in place while pinning and stitching.
- Use a glue stick to temporarily keep lace, ribbons and trims in place while stitching.
- Serge or zigzag the outer raw edges of the fabric base to prevent fraying while you are work the stitches.
- Use Fray Check to help keep lace, ribbons, and trims from fraying.
- Trims, appliques, and buttons can be stitched to cover raw edges that are not caught in a seam.
Happy Stitching to you! ~Christen