Question: Is your art influenced by other works of art? YES is my answer!
Misty Blue Hills by Christen Brown
This piece was created with a printed upholstery fabric that I had for many (many, many) years, that I used for the center, because of the great coloring and lines. I pieced the simple border with blue and creme colored printed fabrics. The embroidery stitching follows the pattern in the center, using the blanket and fly stitches netted, along with the chain stitch double, chain stitch cable, chain, herringbone, feather, stem, linked bullion, stem/outline fern, open chain, portugese knotted stem, palestrina knot, string of pearls, coral, running stitch whipped, snail trail, and scroll stitches. The detail stitches were the French knot, bell flower and stacked bead stitches. I used a Sashiko style of stitching on the border fabrics. Many vintage glass, metal, shell and celluloid buttons were used for embellishments, along with two bone dragons.
I wanted to show you the comparison of the two pieces that influenced Misty Blue Hills (first image). The second image is vintage purse, made from a beautiful piece of fabric with tiny bead embellishments. The third image is the very famous piece titled “The Great Wave off Kanagawa”. This is a woodblock print, that is also known as The Great Wave or simply The Wave, created by the Japanese ukiyo-e artist Hokusai.
This piece is the cover and can be seen in my new book Hand Embroidery Dictionary.
Here is a recap of the month, may you find inspiration! Happy Stitching, ~Christen
- September 1, 2021– Question: Who did you learn to sew from?
- September 2, 2021– Question: What was your favorite garment that was hand-sewn, and who sewed it for you?
- September 3, 2021– Question: I like to sew strips, and straight seams. What do you like to sew?
- September 4, 2021– Question: What fabric do you like to sew with?
- September 5, 2021– Question: What is your favorite sewing tool?
- September 6, 2021– Question: What kind of sewing machine did you learn to sew on, and, what kind of machine do you sew on now?
- September 7, 2021– Question: When you design a project, do you like to use what is in your stash, or do you prefer to go to the store and search for materials?
- September 8, 2021– Question: When you work with a pattern do you follow the instructions, or do you interpret the instructions to fit your vision?
- September 9, 2021– Question: When you are stitching a pattern, do you strive for perfect seams, or do you cover up what was not perfect?
- September 10, 2021– Question: How do you choose a color pallet for a project?
- September 11, 2021– Rustic Americana, in Memory of 9/11
- September 12, 2021– Question: Do you sew functional forms or fabulous frivolities?
- September 13, 2021– Question: Do you like to work with solid color fabric, or prints?
- September 14, 2021– Question: Do you like to applique, if so, by machine or hand?
- September 15, 2021– Question: How do you choose a name for your project?
- September 16, 2021– Mystic Twighlight
- September 17, 2021– Variation on a Theme
- September 18, 2021– Charmed Square
- September 19, 2021– Lady Bird’s Bzzy Garden, and Lady Bird 2 by Christen Brown
- September 20, 2021– Psychedelic Balloons
- September 21, 2021– Big Leaves
- September 22, 2021– California Dreamin’
- September 23, 2021– Sand Pebbles
- September 24, 2021– Darling Motif Sampler
- September 25, 2021– Question: What sewer does not have a favorite needle keep, or pincushion.
- September 26, 2021– Question: What sewing enthusiast does not have a lot of precious scraps, that just can’t be thrown away?
- September 27, 2021– Wild Persimmons
- September 28, 2021– Question: What form of piecing do you prefer?
- September 29, 2021– Question: Do you plan out every detail, or do you approach your work with serendipity?